Alta Vista Property Spain – Retiring to Costa del Sol, Spain

November 2, 2010 in Altavista Property, Costa del Sol Guide by Michael Liggan

It is difficult to establish the exact number of British retirees who have migrated to the Costa del Sol, but what is clear is that there are probably many thousands who live permanently, or for a substantial part of a year in Andalusia, particularly in the Province of Malaga. The following advice for those retiring to Spain is adapted from an article by Age Care Association Costa del Sol

Before leaving:

Properly research your destination. Find out about local laws, customs and values. It is essential to learn some Spanish, which will help in communicating with local people, municipal, regional and state authorities.

Spain_Retirement Estimate how much retirement income and investments you have and allow for inflation and possible future diminishing returns.

If you are buying a property in Spain be very careful and take professional advice. Alta Vista Spain can recommend English-speaking lawyers for you who specialise in property conveyancing if you don’t have one.

If you are not of retirement age and not entitled to the Spanish state National Health Service do take out adequate private insurance cover.

Seek advice about migrating overseas from your local Social Security Office, HM Revenue and Customs and the Department of Work and Pensions. Experience has shown that they are very helpful and provide information to ensure a trouble free relocation.

On arrival:

All EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than three months are required by law to register in person at a Foreigner’s Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) or at a local National Police Station, and present a valid passport, completing an application form and paying a fee. EU citizens will no longer be issued with a residence card. They will be issued with a certificate stating their name, address, nationality, identity number and date of registration. EU citizens with valid residency cards should take no action until the card expires. On expiry they must also register as applies to EU citizens planning to reside in Spain.
Register with the British Consulate in Malaga; this is particularly useful in times of emergency. Registration should be done each year and can be done over the internet.

Make a Spanish will. See a Spanish lawyer (abogado) – Alta Vista Spain can recommend English-speaking lawyers, who will draw up the will according to your wishes. It should cover your Spanish property and investments.

Ensure you are on the municipal census (Padron). If you wish to vote in local and European elections visit the Town hall or Casa de Cultura, or Foreigner’s Advice Department to obtain information about registering on the electoral roll.

Through both the many exclusive arrangements Alta Vista Spain have with developers and banks, and our access to thousands of further properties throughout the Costa del Sol, you can be sure we have exactly the type of property you’re looking for. Luxury villas, family townhouses, penthouses, apartments, holiday homes – the lot. For more detail, visit our website:

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Add to favorites
  • email
  • FriendFeed
  • Google Buzz
  • LinkedIn
  • MySpace
  • PDF
  • Posterous
  • Reddit
  • RSS
  • SphereIt
  • Sphinn
  • Tumblr